After a heart arrest, Luton's Lockyer was declared "stable," and the Bournemouth match was called off

Following a cardiac arrest that resulted in the postponement of Saturday’s Premier League match against Bournemouth, Luton captain Tom Lockyer was reportedly in a “stable” condition in the hospital.

In the 65th minute, with the score tied 1-1, Lockyer collapsed in a distressing scenario.

Rob Edwards, the manager of the Hatters, rushed to the Welshman’s assistance, pausing play while the Luton defender received medical attention.

Following the evacuation of both teams to the locker rooms, Lockyer was ultimately carried off on a stretcher, surrounded by the medical staff, and transported to the hospital without delay.

The crowd responded with a standing ovation, while supporters in Vitality Stadium began to chant Lockyer’s name.

“Our medical personnel have verified that Tom Lockyer experienced cardiac arrest on the pitch; however, he remained conscious and responsive until his removal from the trolley,” Luton said in a statement.

“Imperial medical staff from both teams provided him with additional care inside the stadium, for which we extend our sincere appreciation once more.”

“Following his transfer to the hospital, where he is presently undergoing additional tests with his family by his bedside, we can reassure supporters that he is in a stable condition.”

“We sincerely appreciate all individuals who expressed their support, concern, and affectionate messages for Locks.”

Simon Hooper, the referee, verified approximately thirty minutes after the incident that the game would not resume on Saturday.

Applauding the audience, players from both teams returned to the playing field.

"It is encouraging to learn that Tom has responded. “At this time, our deepest condolences remain with Tom and his family,” Bournemouth said in a statement.

“We express our gratitude to the entire medical personnel for their prompt response, as well as to all stadium attendees for their solidarity and support throughout this trying time.”

In May, Lockyer also experienced a collapse during Luton’s triumph over Coventry in the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

Following his transport to the hospital, the Wales international underwent cardiac surgery.

The 29-year-old underwent surgery to correct atrial fibrillation, which the National Health Service of the United Kingdom defines as “an irregular and frequently abnormally rapid heart rate.”

Lockyer resumed competition as Luton began their first season in the Premier League in thirty-one years.

He had accumulated 15 appearances across all competitions before the match on Saturday.

Lockyer may now encounter significant obstacles in his quest to recommence his professional trajectory in light of his most recent health concern.

According to a Premier League statement, “A player medical incident has resulted in the abandonment of the Premier League match between AFC Bournemouth and Luton Town FC.”

“Our thoughts are with all the athletes involved in today’s match, including Tom Lockyer.”

Right-back for Bournemouth. Max Aarons expressed his condolences and sympathies for Tom Lockyer and his family via social media.

The Wales national team expressed their condolences for Tom Lockyer on X, which was formerly Twitter.

Elijah Adebayo’s early header had given the visitors the lead on the south coast before Lockyer’s collapse, seven minutes before Dominic Solanke scored the equalizer for Bournemouth.