Bayern Munich sack manager after Saturday's 5-1 thrashing by Eintracht Frankfurt

Bayern Munich split up with head coach Niko Kovac after 16 months in charge.

He’s leaving the club just one day after he’s thrashed 5-1 at his old Frankfurt club.

They are now fourth in the Bundesliga, four points behind Borussia Monchengladbach’s leader after 10 games.

Announcing the decision, CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said: “The performance of our team in recent weeks and the results have shown us that action is needed.” Uli Hoeness (president), Hasan Salihamidzic (sporting director) and I had an open and serious conversation with Niko on this basis on Sunday with the consensual result that Niko is no longer coach of FC Bayern.

“We all regret this development. I would like to thank Niko Kovac on behalf of FC Bayern for his efforts, in particular for winning the double last season.”

Salihamidzic added: “I am now expecting a positive development from our players and an absolute incentive to achieve our goals for this season.”

Kovac agreed that it was the best time to leave the club he had served for two years as a player, saying: "I am looking forward to a positive development from our players.

“My brother Robert (assistant coach) and I thank Bayern for the last one and a half years. During this time, our team won the championship, the DFB Cup and the Super Cup,” he said. "It was a good time. I wish the club and the staff all the best. "

Kovac will be replaced on an interim basis by his deputy, Hans Flick, while Bayern is searching for a permanent replacement.