Bob Lee, MobileCoin's Chief Product Officer Stabbed to death

images (6)

Bob Lee, MobileCoin’s chief product officer, was stabbed to death in San Francisco.

At 2:35 a.m. on Tuesday, the San Francisco Police Department responded to a stabbing call in SoMa near the 300 block of Main Street. He was transported to a hospital, but he ultimately succumbed to his injuries.

The victim of the stabbing was identified shortly thereafter by NBC Bay Area as 43-year-old Bob Lee. MobileCoin issued a statement to Bloomberg and ABC7 News confirming the information.

Before joining MobileCoin, Bob Lee spent the first few years of Android’s development at Google, concentrating on the creation of core libraries. Then, he joined Square, the payment company that subsequently became Block, to develop its Android app. He also created Cash App.

Bob Lee, aka “Crazy Bob,” was also an investor in tech ventures. According to his LinkedIn profile, he has made investments in SpaceX, Clubhouse, Tile, Figma, Faire, Orchid, Addressable, Nana, Ticket Fairy, Gowalla, Asha, SiPhox, Netswitch, and Found, among others.

In response to the news, the tech community expressed profound sorrow. “It’s real. Getting calls. Heartbreaking. Bob was instrumental to Square and Cash App. STL guy,” Jack Dorsey, the CEO of Block, wrote on nostr.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of @crazybob’s untimely demise. I met him for the first time in the summer of 2006, and he didn’t care that I was only 14; we geeked out over technology and programming. We remained in contact over the years, and he was an early Figma supporter. “It’s so hard to believe he’s gone,” tweeted the CEO of Figma, Dylan Field.