Fire guts Ooni's residence

On Friday night, a fire destroyed an apartment structure within the palace of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ojaja II.

The incident, which reportedly occurred at 11:30 p.m., did not extend to other areas of the palace because the fire was extinguished.

It was determined that the fire began after the palace’s electrical was restored.

Moses Olafare, a spokesperson for Ooni, confirmed the incident and explained that the fire was caused by a power surge that caused electrical appliances to erupt.

Olafare said in a statement that the fire was swiftly extinguished by the State Fire Service Department and Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ile, working together.

The statement read: "A building apartment within the courtyard of the Palace of the Ooni of Ife was engulfed in flames at approximately 11:30 p.m. (Friday) due to a power surge that caused electrical appliances in the afflicted apartment to explode.

"The fire did not extend beyond the affected structure, which was located on a portion of the palace grounds.

“The blaze was quickly extinguished by the combined efforts of the Government Fire Service, the OAU Fire Service, and the Palace Emergency Control Unit.”

"There were no casualties or injuries reported, and no cultural items were lost. “Thanks to the Divine Olodumare”