'I am committed to a just and realistic minimum wage' - Tinubu to Labour Leaders

The President stated that he is concerned about the well-being of Nigerian workers and that his administration is addressing their issues.

President Bola Tinubu believes that Nigerian workers, as the nation’s driving force, deserve improved benefits, higher pay, and safer and better working conditions.

Tinubu made the remarks while engaging with the leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) led by Joe Ajaero and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) led by Comrade Festus Osifo on Thursday in Abuja.

According to a statement from his media aide, Ajuri Ngelale, the President is concerned about the well-being of Nigerian workers and his administration is prioritising their problems.

"I focus on everything around me. A happy employee is a productive one. “And society depends on the output of the happy worker,” the President stated.

However, the President urged realistic expectations in the minimum wage debate, saying, "You must cut your coat according to the available cloth. Before we can conclude the minimum wage procedure, we need to examine the structure.

“Why do we have to adjust wages every five years?” Why not two? Why not in three years? What is an issue today can be remedied tomorrow. If we avoid being myopic in our approaches, this process will be a lot more dynamic. We can adopt a surgical approach based on pragmatism and a thorough comprehension of all factors."

In his remarks, Ajaero underlined the necessity for an increase in the minimum wage, stating, “We need to create a balance between living pay and minimum wage.” “Things are difficult for Nigerian workers.”

He commended the President on the Supreme Court’s decision supporting local governments’ constitutional rights to financial autonomy and other key issues.

“I’d want to congratulate you on the topic of local government autonomy. We have been out in the streets, protesting for local government authority. Now that there is light at the end of the tunnel, failing to applaud you would be ungrateful,” stated the NLC President.

Osifo, President of the TUC, stated that inflation has hurt the value of the naira and that the government’s actions to address growing food and transportation costs must take effect to provide residents with relief.

He stated that the introduction of Compressed Natural Gas-powered buses will assist in reducing the high cost of transportation, while the recent instruction to suspend tariffs on certain food imports will lower food prices if correctly executed.

“We commend you on the Supreme Court’s groundbreaking decision. History will not forget what happened today. With this decision, we feel Nigeria will make progress,” the TUC President stated.

Further discussions were postponed until next week to allow for broader consultation with all parties.