John Cena announces his departure from WWE after 22 years

John Cena, popular WWE superstar and 16-time world champion, announced his retirement from the WWE during the Money in the Bank event on Saturday.

The 47-year-old wrestling icon will go on a farewell tour, signalling the end of his two-decade career with the wrestling business.

John Cena, best known for his iconic catchphrase “You can’t see me” and his Hollywood crossover success, addressed the audience while wearing a red shirt with the words “The last time is now” and a matching red helmet.

He took centre stage at the Scotiabank Arena to reflect on his successful career and convey his gratitude to WWE.

“Why am I here?” “Tonight I formally announce my retirement from the WWE,” Cena stated. “I have been doing this for a while. I’ve been in WWE for over two decades, and I’ve seen great waves of prosperity like we’re experiencing right now. WWE is unquestionably the hottest ticket in town.”

Cena announced that his retirement tour will include appearances at next year’s Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, and WrestleMania in Las Vegas.

He encouraged his opponents to make the most of his remaining time in the ring, stating, “This farewell does not end tonight. It is full of opportunities. RAW will make history next year when it debuts on Netflix. I’ve never gotten into RAW on Netflix. That’s history. That is a first, and I’ll be there.”

“The 2025 Royal Rumble will be my last. The 2025 Elimination Chamber will be my last, and I’m here today to declare that WrestleMania Las Vegas in 2025 will be the last time I participate,” John Cena said. "I understand that is a lot to take in. There are probably a lot of questions out there, which is why I’m informing you right now that I’m going to start the press conference right after the program and will answer any questions about my retirement.

John Cena continued his passionate appreciation by saying, “Thank you so much for your voice, which is loud, and your honesty, which is gloriously brutal. Most importantly, thank you for letting me be here with you tonight to announce to the world that we are doing something amazing, which includes my return to Toronto to kick some a**.”