Kwankwaso speaks on why the merger between NNPP and LP failed

The presidential candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), Rabiu Kwankwaso, has revealed that a proposed merger with the Labour Party (LP) and its presidential candidate, Peter Obi, fell through because the LP was at the peak of media hype and they couldn’t reach a compromise. Speaking at the Chatham House in London on Wednesday, Kwankwaso stated that while the LP is based on ethnicity and religion, the NNPP is a national party that is commanding the support of the masses.

Kwankwaso said he initially wanted to align with the presidential candidate of the LP, Peter Obi, to defeat the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), but the LP was enjoying a serious media hype and therefore failed to see the reason why Obi should be his running mate. He further explained that the NNPP and the LP had wanted to form an alliance for the 2023 general elections, but while he wanted Obi of the LP to be his running mate, Obi also wanted to be the presidential candidate.

Kwankwaso called on Nigerians to be more inclined towards being Nigerians rather than being inclined towards religion and ethnicity, stating that while we accuse leaders of one negative thing or the other, the followers must also learn how to be Nigerians. He said, “While we accuse leaders of being one thing or the other negative, I think the followers also must learn how to be Nigerians, not coming from one part of the country. I was one of those initially wanting to add together with the Labour Party but unfortunately, at that time, the Labour was under very serious media hype and therefore they could not see reason and is still not seeing reason, that I will withdraw.”