Ladoja accepts the beaded crown and says, "I will become Olubadan."

High Chief Rashidi Ladoja, the Otun Olubadan of Ibadanland, has announced his intention to become the Olubadan of Ibadan, expressing appreciation to God for His benevolence.

Ladoja, the most senior of the High Chiefs and the next in line to become Olubadan announced this on Sunday during an appearance on Fresh FM’s ‘Agbami Oselu’ radio programme in Ibadan.

The former Governor of Oyo State also declared his aspiration to become Ibadanland’s beaded crown monarch, as stated in the new Olubadan Chieftaincy Declaration.

He explained that numerous Ibadan indigenes and non-indigenes had persuaded him to accept the beaded crown to facilitate his eventual succession to the kingdom.

Speaking in Yoruba, Ladoja stated, “By God’s grace, I will become Olubadan.” God has been merciful to me. My blood pressure has been constant.

"Anyone God has chosen to become Olubadan will become Olubadan. No matter what barriers are in their way.

I am willing to accept Ibadan’s ceremonial beaded crown if God and the wonderful people of Ibadanland so desire it. Only God knows who will become Olubadan. I know that by God’s special gift, I shall become Olubadan.

"I would do whatever the people of Ibadan demand. God determines everything. Many people became Balogun but not Olubadan. Many people have become Otun Olubadan but have yet to Olubadan. Omiyale and Kuye died 10 days apart.

"It’s a difficult decision, but the voice of the people is the voice of God. That’s what the people want.

Many people believe this move is critical to defusing tensions caused by publishing the gazette with the new amendment.

The new Olubadan Chieftaincy Declaration, approved by the state House of Assembly and signed into law by Governor Seyi Makinde, altered Section 4 of the 1957 Olubadan Chieftaincy Declaration.

The previous text stated: “The person offered as a candidate by the line whose turn it is to fill a vacancy in the office of the Olubadan shall be the most Senior (High) Chief in that line.”

However, Section 4 of the revision, titled “New Olubadan Chieftaincy Declaration,” changed “the most Senior (High) Chief” to “the most Senior Beaded Crown Oba in that Line.”

According to Section 4 of the new law, the person proposed as a candidate by the Line, whose turn is to fill a vacancy in the office of the Olubadan, must be the most Senior Beaded Crown Oba in that Line.