Liverpool tops the Premier League standings after defeating Wolves 3-1

On Saturday, Liverpool defeated Wolves with a commanding second-half performance, coming from behind to win 3-1 and take the lead in the Premier League standings following the early kickoff.

At Molineux, Hwang Hee-chan gave the home team an early lead against their lethargic opponents, and they had numerous opportunities to increase that lead during a brilliant first-half performance.

Cody Gakpo, however, scored Liverpool’s equalizer 10 minutes into the second half following the resumption.

The team led by Jurgen Klopp consistently held Wolves at bay, and they were rewarded when Andy Robertson finished skillfully in the 85th minute. Hugo Bueno’s own goal then added gloss to the final score.

Before the 1400 GMT kickoffs, Liverpool’s fourth straight victory puts them in first place in the Premier League.

Although Wolves have had trouble finding their edge this year, they got off to a strong start, with Pedro Neto and newly acquired Jean-Ricner Bellegarde both posing regular threats.

When Neto drove down the left, evaded Liverpool’s defense, and crossed from the byline, finding Hwang, who scored clinically beyond goalkeeper Alisson Becker from an angle, they received an early reward.

With Trent Alexander-Arnold injured and Virgil van Dijk suspended, the high-energy home team looked dangerous every time they charged forward, and Liverpool struggled to exercise any meaningful control.

However, the Wolves’ sharp approach to play was not matched by their ability to finish, as they missed numerous good chances to widen their lead.

At the back post of a corner, defender Craig Dawson nodded the ball over.

After another fantastic work from Neto, Brazilian forward Matheus Cunha squandered a wonderful opportunity in the 34th minute by terribly mistiming his jump.

Liverpool had several opportunities toward the end of the first half, indicating the threat they posed.

At halftime, Klopp substituted Luis Diaz for Argentine midfielder Alexis MacAllister, and the Colombian came dangerously close to tying the score with a header.

Gakpo got time to level with his final touch as the German manager was getting ready to replace Diogo Jota and Gakpo with Harvey Elliott and Darwin Nunez.

Gakpo was there to nudge the ball in after Mohamed Salah, who had been mostly kept quiet, received it on the right and fizzed it across the box.

When Nunez was found by Diaz in front of goal, Liverpool had a great opportunity to take the lead, but Jose Sa stopped Nunez’s attempt.

When Robertson intercepted Sa’s errant clearance in midfield in the 85th minute, Klopp’s team had Wolves pinned back and went ahead.

The Scottish defender advanced quickly and exchanged passes with Salah before scoring from close range.

When Bueno significantly deflected Elliot’s attempt, beating Sa, Liverpool still had time for a third goal.