Marseille appoints De Zerbi as new coach

On Saturday, former Brighton manager Roberto De Zerbi was named the next coach of Ligue 1 club Marseille.

The club declared earlier this week that it had reached an “understanding in principle” with De Zerbi, but a new statement on their website confirmed the arrangement.

“Marseille is thrilled to announce the signing of the Italian coach for the next three seasons,” the statement read.

De Zerbi, 45, will take over as manager of the 1993 Champions League winners from Jean-Louis Gasset.

“I had a great urge to join the club,” explained De Zerbi.

"The history and prestige of Marseille, the passion and fervor of its supporters, and the seriousness and excitement demonstrated to me were all significant elements.

“I can’t wait to sit on the bench at the Velodrome, this time as OM coach, and assist the club regain the place it deserves.”

American owner Frank McCourt hailed De Zerbi’s arrival, saying, “Roberto knows the stability of the sporting vision that (president) Pablo (Longoria) is constructing, and I’m confident that his enthusiasm and devotion to the club’s future will be vital.”

De Zerbi’s move to Marseille is seen as a triumph for the southern club, which finished ninth in the table and will lose out on European action next season.

Before Enzo Maresca was named Chelsea’s next manager, the former AC Milan and Napoli midfielder was linked with the position.

During De Zerbi’s first season at Brighton, he led the club to an FA Cup semi-final loss to Manchester United and Europa League qualification for the first time.

De Zerbi, who joined Brighton in 2022, left the Premier League team by mutual consent following their final game in May 2024.