Mbappe wins France's Player of the Year title

Mbappe, 25, was awarded the best player in Ligue 1 at the UNFP (French Players’ Union) Trophies gala for the fifth consecutive time. This recognition comes after a remarkable season where he showcased his exceptional skills by scoring 44 goals in all competitions for PSG.

Last week, the France captain announced his departure from PSG at the end of the season as his contract came to an end. It is widely anticipated that Real Madrid will be his next club.

“It’s a turning page, a chapter of my life that’s about to come to an end,” Mbappe said.

“Ligue 1 will forever hold a significant role in my life. This league has been the sole focus of my career thus far.

“I have always strived to be a respectable representative of this league,” he added.

I will miss it. It’s the end of a chapter in my life. What is coming next is incredibly thrilling, but that’s a whole other story.

Mbappe played his last home game for PSG on Sunday and found the back of the net as the champions endured an unexpected 3-1 loss against Toulouse.

He has scored 27 goals this season in Ligue 1, which is eight goals more than the next top scorer, Jonathan David from Lille.

Mbappe’s PSG still has two more Ligue 1 games to play this week before the French Cup final against Lyon on May 25, so the season is not yet finished.

Mbappe emerged as the winner of an award that was voted for by his fellow players and presented by Marie-Jose Perec, the esteemed French former 200m and 400m Olympic champion.

Among the contenders for the spot were Ousmane Dembele from PSG, Pierre Lees-Melou from Brest, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Marseille, and Edon Zhegrova from Lille.

PSG’s complete control over the domestic league was evident in the other accolades, as young midfielder Warren Zaire-Emery was recognized as the season’s standout young player, while Gianluigi Donnarumma was hailed as the top goalkeeper.

Eric Roy of Brest has been recognized as coach of the year for his remarkable achievement. Under his leadership, the modest Brittany club has secured European qualification for the first time in their history. With one game remaining, they are guaranteed to finish no lower than fifth, ensuring a place in the Europa League.