Murphy Afolabi dies at 49

images

Murphy Afolabi, a well-known Yoruba actor and filmmaker, is said to have died just 24 hours after the death of Saint Obi, a well-known Nollywood performer.

The actor, who worked in Yoruba movies, was said to have fallen down in the bathroom of his home in Ikorodu, Lagos, on Sunday, May 14, 2023.

Seun Olaiya, a movie director and the head of the Yoruba Movie Directors Guild, told other movie directors about the sad news on WhatsApp.

Abdullahi Abdulrasaq, who is the Managing Director of Corporate Pictures Nigeria Limited, a well-known business that markets movies, agreed with him.

Olaiya wrote, “I swear to God, I was still praising him right before I heard the news. This really takes me by surprise.”

Seun Oloketuyi, who works in show business and is in charge of the Best of Nollywood Awards, also confirmed the story to our reporter. He said, "That’s right. He died this morning after falling in his bathroom at his home in Ikorodu.

Tunde Ola-Yusuf, who is also a filmmaker, shared a picture of the late actor on Facebook with the words “Rest in peace. God grant the family and close friends the strength to deal with the loss. Murphy Afolabi, good night.”

Fidelis Duker, who is also a director, wrote, “What is really going on? I’m just now watching a movie with him in it.”

But some Yoruba stars were seen making comments and comforting the family of the person who had died.

Afolabi came into the movie business in 2001. He was born on May 5, 1974.

Before he died, the Iree Polytechnic, Osun State, grad was in more than 60 movies.

“Ifa Olokun,” “Omowunmi,” “Jimi Bendel,” “Wasila Coded,” “Olokiki Oru,” and “Idera” are all movies that he has worked on.