The Zimbabwean president, Emmerson Mnangagwa, has announced the death of the Robert Mugbabe via Twitter. Mugbabe ruled Zimbabwe from independence till he was overthrown by the military in 2017 just after he fired his VP, to pave way for his wife to succeed him.
He ruled for a total of 37 years.
Here is a short timeline of his life
- 1924: Born. Later trains as a teacher
- 1964: Imprisoned by Rhodesian government
- 1980: Wins post-independence elections
- 1996: Marries Grace Marufu
- 2000: Loses referendum - pro-Mugabe militias invade white-owned farms and attack opposition supporters
- 2008: Comes second in first round of elections to Tsvangirai, who pulls out of run-off following nationwide attacks on his supporters
- 2009: Amid economic collapse, swears in Tsvangirai as prime minister, who serves in uneasy government of national unity for four years
- 2017: Sacks long-time ally Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa, paving the way for his wife Grace to succeed him
- November 2017: Army intervenes and forces him to step down