The video games industry is generating more revenue than the combination of the movies and music industry. In a series of tweets, Alex Thorn explains this position with charts and graphs.
In the gaming industry, phone games sector led the games industry with a revenue of $56.4 billion, in 2018 alone. It is followed by console games sector with a revenue of $34.6 billion. Free to play games dominated monetization model by 82% in 2017. While premium-driven and subscription based games had a share 14% and 5% for the same year.
According to SuperData, a leading provider of digital games and playable media market intelligence, the top 10 free to play games generated a revenue of $13 billion in 2018 alone. The top ten games free to play games category by revenue are:
- Fortnite: $2.4 billion
- Dungeon Fighter Online: $1.5 billion
- League of Legends: $1.4 billion
- Pokemon GO: $1.3 billion
- Crossfire: $1.3 billion
- Honour of Kings: $1.3 billion
- Fate/Grand Order: $1.2 billion
- Candy Crush Saga: $1.1 billion
- Monster Strike: $1 billion
- Clash Royal: $0.9 billion